January 19, 2012

Uncandled Eggs - Mystery Wagon in the Lone Lands


When questing in the Lone Lands near Ost Guruth, you will eventually be sent to clear out some orcs and wargs who have settled in to the ruins of Ost Cyrn, south of Ost Guruth.  Just between the road and Ost Cyrn, you'll find a capsized wagon.  Prior quests out of Iorvinas and Ost Guruth warn us that goblin attacks have been on the rise in the Lone Lands, so this wagon appears to have been one of countless casualties.

However, the appearance of this wagon grabbed my attention.  It looks a little familiar, doesn't it?  And if you move around to look at the back, you find a very round door - much like the wagons you see in Waymeet.

Is it possible a wagon of Hobbits could have been traveling through these lands far from The Shire and Bree-land?  Not inconceivable - trade happened, even in those days of danger.  I'm still very curious about this wagon.  To the best of my knowledge, none of the quests in this area mention it specifically.  If it is just meant to be a wreck by the side of the road, why not a cart?  Why something that matches the Hobbit wagon homes in Waymeet?

At the very least, it piques the imagination.  Anyone have an explanation?




7 comments:

  1. Could be possible I guess, I've always been curious about how the Rivendell elves got their supplies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had to guess I'd say it was dwarves.

    Dwarves are always on the go, trading between their mines along the great Road, and as they make the journeys from the Iron Hills to Erebor to Ered Luin they pass through the Shire. It's entirely possible that dwarves would use/sell the same type of wagons for use in the Shire.

    That, or Turbine just didn't want to make a new wagon model :)

    We also see similar wagons in Bree and the surrounding hamlets. Could have been those as trade artifacts between the Lone-lands and Bree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are at least two more wagons like this, one in Harloeg and one near the Midgewater Marshes. Of the latter we do know it was on its way from the Forsaken Inn to Bree and got ambushed by goblins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a story behind this wagon! I don't recall it exactly, but I think a crafting-quest for scholars sent me from Rivendell to this wagon. I had to retrieve some books.

    Greast site btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe it's one of Lotho Pimple's carts full of pipeweed that was waylaid before it got to Sharkey?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to dig up an old post (just found your site!). The Scholar quest to access the Supreior Study sent you to the Lone Lands to find 4 books - of Dwarves, Elves, Hobbits and Men. I remember checking every wagon I saw for days - this one included - before I found the one farther down the road, in Harloeg. Little more information here:
    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?47149-Draznar-s-Crafting-Links-Guide-and-FAQ

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the valuable info you provide in your articles.
    I'll bookmark your weblog and check again here regularly. I am quite sure I will learn many new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!
    Also visit my weblog ... Kahului Forum

    ReplyDelete